ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball ⚾️ Amazing how the two best teams in CBB utilizes the mid-range shot

G.O.A.T-23

All American
Gold Member
Mar 19, 2019
I will continue to beat this drum that as long as the philosophy is to damn near never take that shot, Bama ceiling is about where it is now, Sweet 16 maybe Elite Eight some years.

If I found the right stats and read them right..
Bama was 144th in 2 pt %
113th in 3 pt % and last and least...
184 in FT %.
Has nothing to do with what you said...but not impressive. And I agree...I’ll take the open mid range over a contested layup, unless the guy can’t shoot and is a great finisher.

I will continue to beat this drum that as long as the philosophy is to damn near never take that shot, Bama ceiling is about where it is now, Sweet 16 maybe Elite Eight some years.
How do you know that is CNOs philosophy?
Some people amaze at how they think they know more than the coaches do.
beat that drum

beat that drum
He’s said it many times. He wants shots at the rim, free throws and 3’s.

The two teams in the championship are also elite finishers at the rim, from the FT line and from 3. Has nothing to do with the midrange.
And then Baylor flashes to the free throw line and drains it.

beat that drum
Two years of watching damn near every game and not seeing them pull up for the mid-range.

More importantly, listening to CNO himself. He has said it many times; there have been articles written about it.

Two years of watching damn near every game and not seeing them pull up for the mid-range.

More importantly, listening to CNO himself. He has said it many times; there have been articles written about it.
I have been a season ticket holder for 16 years and this is the best coach that has come through here since Wimp.
CNO takes us to the SEC Championship and the Sweet 16 and you’re bitching.......?

Baylor is +24 from 3. Tell me what the difference in the game is
They are better. That wasn’t his point. His point is, they are willing to take a an open mid range shot. He didn’t say Baylor is winning tonight bc they shoot so many mid range shots. He said they take them and they do. Argue to his post and not that Baylor is making more threes. This board is for discussing basketball. And he posted his opinion about something basketball. He can believe in Oats and support Alabama basketball and still believe an open mid range shot is a good shot.

As has already been mentioned Oats wants 3's, rim, or free throws. If a guy shows the ability to do those three I think he'll find the freedom to shoot more shots in the 10-12 range (see Quinnerly late in the year). With that said, name me one player on this team that you would have liked to have the green light for 16 footers???

The two teams in the championship are also elite finishers at the rim, from the FT line and from 3. Has nothing to do with the midrange.
I wholeheartedly disagree; it opens up the other things because the defense has to defend the whole floor. Not just the 3pt line and at the rim. It has a lot to do why they are so difficult to defend.

What's sad is teams it has been there all year because teams play them so tight along the 3pt line. Just stop and pop and it force defenders to come away from the rim just a little bit. Now you have dump passes and backdoor cuts to the rim.

Like @aggietider said, give me an open midrange over a contested layup that is missed or blocked.

I have been a season ticket holder for 16 years and this is the best coach that has come through here since Wimp.
CNO takes us to the SEC Championship and the Sweet 16 and you’re bitching.......?
Yep, because I don't think the 3 or drive philosophy is one that can ever get Bama to the level we see tonight.

I know many Alabama fans don't care; just as long as football is tremendous and basketball is not terrible, they are happy. I would like to see Bama finally become elite.

Look...if we hit our FT, we beat UCLA and have a great shot of being in the Natty. CNO can’t coach and shoot the FT. His job is to put players in position to make plays. He did that in his 2nd year in the program. He literally almost duct taped together a final four team. What exactly is your criticism and the drum that you continue to beat? You want CAG or CAJ back? This is CNO’s 2nd year (that fact bears repeating).

The title of the thread is obvious. So if you want to disagree with the mid range opinion, disagree. But if you think he should just be happy Alabama made the sweet sixteen and you don’t want to discuss basketball, don’t open it. He didn’t say he hates Oats and wants AJ back. He doesn’t think that either bc he’s not an idiot. He’s just talking basketball on a basketball forum. And he can support and believe in Oats and not agree with everything Oats does or believes.

Look...if we hit our FT, we beat UCLA and have a great shot of being in the Natty. CNO can’t coach and shoot the FT. His job is to put players in position to make plays. He did that in his 2nd year in the program. He literally almost duct taped together a final four team. What exactly is your criticism and the drum that you continue to beat? You want CAG or CAJ back? This is CNO’s 2nd year (that fact bears repeating).
I thought I made it clear; I don't think his philosophy of not shooting a shot that available is one that will get Alabama far. At least not as far as I would like to see them go. Look at Alabama's record against ranked teams this year. They all defended the 3 and at the rim, giving the midrange that Bama didn't take. Bama lost more of those games then they won.

The title of the thread is obvious. So if you want to disagree with the mid range opinion, disagree. But if you think he should just be happy Alabama made the sweet sixteen and you don’t want to discuss basketball, don’t open it. He didn’t say he hates Oats and wants AJ back. He doesn’t think that either bc he’s not an idiot. He’s just talking basketball on a basketball forum. And he can support and believe in Oats and not agree with everything Oats does or believes.
Thank you.

Yeah he can believe what he wants it's still a dumb take. We know what Oats philosophy is and it got us two Championships this year and a Sweet Sixteen in his second year. Pay attention to the additions were adding the next two weeks. I love the way we play, I agree sounds like he was happy with Avery.

Reactions: kansas77
You nailed it. We are completely reckless with the ball. I’m very proud of our team without a doubt. However the OP nailed. We will never be a final four team with our current philosophy. Is there a team that has ever won it with our offensive philosophy? I’m happy with sweet 16s and elite 8s every so often. t
The thing that sticks out to me is the ball handling by both teams. Neither are sloppy or out of control

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
Thank you.
Yet neither of you have any basis other than conjecture that we would shoot a better percentage from these mid range shots. CNO has specific numbers broken down by players and he is at practice every day (assumption on my part). His philosophy may not be perfect, but very few teams can run you off the 3 pt line and guard hard at the rim. His philosophy was good enough to at least get us to elite 8 this year, do you really think opening up the mid range would have gotten us farther? Who is going to shoot that mid range...Petty, Reese, Bruner? They would be just as streaky from midrange. The other side of this philosophy is that it simplifies decisions for these kids. It eliminates these dumb ass shots where someone has one foot behind the 3 pt line and one door in front. Players in the CNO system should know where they are and what they should be trying to do. That works with 18, 19 & 20 yr olds. I’m not saying there is not a better system in college basketball, but for Bama, at this point in time, it is probably better than we deserve.

You nailed it. We are completely reckless with the ball. I’m very proud of our team without a doubt. However the OP nailed. We will never be a final four team with our current philosophy. Is there a team that has ever won it with our offensive philosophy? I’m happy with sweet 16s and elite 8s every so often. t
I agree with you on ball security and turnovers. Completely unacceptable in some games. I respectfully disagree with the rest of the post. CNO has shown that his system can win when we are not shooting the 3 well. But, you have to shoot FTs. I also agree that CNO is growing as a coach. Let’s not forget CNS had to change his philosophy as well.

I’m not an expert and you all may be right about mid range shots But..I predict that using the current system and with players more suited to that system Bama will make a Final Four in five years. I like where we are headed with the system and I believe players do to. Recruiting for that system will continue to attract quality players.

Yet neither of you have any basis other than conjecture that we would shoot a better percentage from these mid range shots. CNO has specific numbers broken down by players and he is at practice every day (assumption on my part). His philosophy may not be perfect, but very few teams can run you off the 3 pt line and guard hard at the rim. His philosophy was good enough to at least get us to elite 8 this year, do you really think opening up the mid range would have gotten us farther? Who is going to shoot that mid range...Petty, Reese, Bruner? They would be just as streaky from midrange. The other side of this philosophy is that it simplifies decisions for these kids. It eliminates these dumb ass shots where someone has one foot behind the 3 pt line and one door in front. Players in the CNO system should know where they are and what they should be trying to do. That works with 18, 19 & 20 yr olds. I’m not saying there is not a better system in college basketball, but for Bama, at this point in time, it is probably better than we deserve.
It’s not about him being at practice everyday. It’s his philosophy. He doesn’t begin the season and say “ok, let’s see who can shoot from mid range and who can’t.” He doesn’t believe in mid range shots. We don’t shoot them. And mid range isn’t making a mistake and shooting a 3 with a foot on the line for 2 points. Mid range is like a flash to the free throw line and shoot it. I understand what goat is saying. You could guard the 3 against Bama and if you get beat off the dribble you can just let them go and scramble to the open shooter bc regardless of how much help is at the rim, we aren’t stopping and shooting it before we get to the defense. We are going all the way to the help of it’s there.

I agree GOAT... open mid range is far better than a contested layup through 3 defenders. Some of you guys kill me with the “you know better than the coaches” thing. It’s okay to love what Oats has done but not agree with every single decision he makes. What about the Baylor and Gonzaga staffs? You think you know better than them!? Unbelievable!

I thought I made it clear; I don't think his philosophy of not shooting a shot that available is one that will get Alabama far. At least not as far as I would like to see them go. Look at Alabama's record against ranked teams this year. They all defended the 3 and at the rim, giving the midrange that Bama didn't take. Bama lost more of those games then they won.

The reason Baylor went far and won the Natty is because they had the best team. I truly believe if you took same Baylor team and ran Oats system they still win the championship. The flaw in Oats system right now is that we don't have the guys that can finish at the rim. Baylor does.

Reactions: kansas77 and bama42
The reason Baylor went far and won the Natty is because they had the best team. I truly believe if you took same Baylor team and ran Oats system they still win the championship. The flaw in Oats system right now is that we don't have the guys that can finish at the rim. Baylor does.

I'm Not against your point but if you took the same Baylor team and trained them for 2 years of the bad traditional habits that has been installed in players for Bama before Oats and had 2 years to fix it. You might also end up with the same results Bama had this year.

I agree GOAT... open mid range is far better than a contested layup through 3 defenders. Some of you guys kill me with the “you know better than the coaches” thing. It’s okay to love what Oats has done but not agree with every single decision he makes. What about the Baylor and Gonzaga staffs? You think you know better than them!? Unbelievable!
I didn't like the jacket he wore in the last game. That's what cost us!

I don't know Oats but I know coaching and I guarantee you that in the long run you will see more 5-12 foot shots taken...

When Oats got here Bama was:
Slow, out of shape, couldn't shoot 3s, scared to shoot 3s, couldn't penetrate outside of 1 player, couldn't make fts, pretty much was the opposite of what he wants....oh and they were losers.

It's hard to break bad habits and it's very hard to become winners!

Well last season you saw us uncontrollably force tempo and shoot 3s...the results weren't great but we made progress in pushing philosophy..
Outside of Kira nobody could consistently penetrate past their man.

This season we were much better with naturally playing fast and shooting 3s but now we were uncontrollably forcing the ball to the rim but the progress was we finally could penetrate with the majority of the guys on the team.....
Also, our defense came along. Oh and we became winners!

Now onto season 3....

I don't think Oats is done establishing what he's trying to do (still getting out those bad habits). He's close to 2/3rds there tho imo...so I guess a Sec championship, a Sec tournament championship, and a sweet 16 while almost being as good as the best team in the country ain't half bad.

I think if you listen to CNO he says 'statistically speaking' a midrange jumpshot from a 40% shooter is not as valuable as 60% rim shot or a 3-point shot [I'm not sure of the % he uses for a 3-pointer]

Regardless of philosophies or where shots are taken, you still need players that make them, especially in crunch time

What hurt Bama WAS NOT finishing at the rim using CNO's philosophy. Therefore, the question would be - could the same player who couldn't finish at the rim, make a 10-12 footer?

Fiesty Lou

• Haha
Reactions: Sweetlou10
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT