ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread: Alabama basketball vs. Stanford

I’m as frustrated as anyone after tonight. I want us to be good at basketball so bad. But if you take a step back and look at the facts. We have a real good coach, good players who fit coach’s system, but just flat out haven’t played real well yet. Game 1 we shot almost as bad as we did tonight. We showed poor effort defending and rebounding, got a couple guys in foul trouble early. Then started forcing everything and it snowballed from there. We’ll get better though. It probably won’t be fixed overnight but we’ll be just fine

You know what I loved...was when our veterans really held the team accountable when things were going sideways early on and then imposed their will and simply refused to lose. That made me proud.

My guess is you grew up in the south where basketball is known little. And my guess is you've never worked in sports. Yes, the one pointing at people saying you don't know/i know blah blah blah usually actually knows little. Hence he has to tell people he knows lmao
You want to compare basketball knowledge? You like to brag about “ your experience” a bunch on here. Your assumptions are wrong as usual.

Bright side: Stanford had 22 turnovers. We just didn't capitalize. It'll come.
That was the gut wrenching part. It felt like Jones and Q, two guys who are counted on to lead this team, cost this team at least 12+ points with horrible passes in transition.

I’m as frustrated as anyone after tonight. I want us to be good at basketball so bad. But if you take a step back and look at the facts. We have a real good coach, good players who fit coach’s system, but just flat out haven’t played real well yet. Game 1 we shot almost as bad as we did tonight. We showed poor effort defending and rebounding, got a couple guys in foul trouble early. Then started forcing everything and it snowballed from there. We’ll get better though. It probably won’t be fixed overnight but we’ll be just fine
In other words- a repeat of last year.

Not sure I'm falling for the 8:30 CST tip again tonight. Watching that trash until 10:30 with a 2:30 am wakeup hurt in more ways than one. But I'm a dummy so I'll probably do it again.
2:30 am?

And the year before that, and the year before that, and......

Sorry, just frustrated by what seems like a constant case of bad deja vu for 15 years now.
Hey I understand completely. It is ground hog day every year with Bama basketball. I know I sound over the top and ridiculous at times but I just want to see something different and have Bama basketball be remotely relevant. Been a long, long time. Last night was one game- but not one aspect was even a little encouraging. Out shot, out rebounded, out coached. Terrible.

Reactions: Codie B
Sorry for comment. Just hard to find anything they did fundamentally well. Out rebounded 47-31, allowed Stanford to shoot over 50% from the field and 3, 5 more turnovers than assists etc. I could go on.

Sorry for comment. Just hard to find anything they did fundamentally well. Out rebounded 47-31, allowed Stanford to shoot over 50% from the field and 3, 5 more turnovers than assists etc. I could go on.
pwest, wonder why we was not hitting the boards on both ends. lazy, did not care, oats was not pushing them hard enough. just dont understand the effort.

pwest, wonder why we was not hitting the boards on both ends. lazy, did not care, oats was not pushing them hard enough. just dont understand the effort.

I quit watching about about 7 minutes into the first half, but I thought our defensive rebounding showed improvement at least until that point. No?

Offensive rebounding was atrocious but I'm not surprised when you constantly have 4 or 5 guys on the perimeter waiting to brick another 3.

On the offensive end everyone stands around the perimeter wanting to shoot the 3. A lot of just standing around. Really is a lack of effort. Some fans burn more calories screaming at the TV than some of these guys do.

Man we couldn’t score basically that entire first half. Now we get to see what kind of adjustments Oats and the guys make at half. Gotta step it up in all phases or they’re going to run us out the gym
Oats doesn't make in-game adjustments. Did you not watch us last season?

The bright side is that we will play a horrible UNLV team tonight. They're 0-2 and haven't been competitive in either game. That basketball powerhouse known as Montana State scorched them with 91 points in the season opener. The bad side will be that a win tonight will do nothing for our resume. Before the season, I had high hopes for at least a couple of quality wins in this tournament. I thought we would beat Stanford, would have a very good chance against UNC, and then face Indiana or Texas in game 3. But we'll now play UNLV tonight, and either Davidson or Providence tomorrow. So instead of 2 or 3 possible resume building wins, we'll exit this week with zero. We may win the next 2, but they won't help build our resume. That's a big opportunity lost.

The bright side is that we will play a horrible UNLV team tonight. They're 0-2 and haven't been competitive in either game. That basketball powerhouse known as Montana State scorched them with 91 points in the season opener. The bad side will be that a win tonight will do nothing for our resume. Before the season, I had high hopes for at least a couple of quality wins in this tournament. I thought we would beat Stanford, would have a very good chance against UNC, and then face Indiana or Texas in game 3. But we'll now play UNLV tonight, and either Davidson or Providence tomorrow. So instead of 2 or 3 possible resume building wins, we'll exit this week with zero. We may win the next 2, but they won't help build our resume. That's a big opportunity lost.
we will have chances down the road just got to get better or it wont matter anyway.

UNLV was up 15-0 on North Carolina. Didn't get to see the rest and I know UNC won, but if we play as half-assed as we did last night, we will get humiliated again tonight.

Reactions: bamabeatallday

Reactions: Crimson_bloodbath
UNLV was up 15-0 on North Carolina. Didn't get to see the rest and I know UNC won, but if we play as half-assed as we did last night, we will get humiliated again tonight.

I didn't watch the game but I did catch Williams post game interview. Apparently at one point during that UNLV run he replaced all 5 starters. He said the bench was all the motivation they needed from that point on.

These responses are great. Dude you said primo would be one of the best on the roster and would take shacks place. Then smyou say something like this? The only thing you know is how to be emotional
By the way- Stanford just lost to North Carolina. You predicted a Stanford victory. And Stanford was held to only 25% from 3 and was out rebounded 43-23.
FUNDAMENTALS.
Guess anyone who grew up in the south has no understanding of the game. LOL.

By the way- Stanford just lost to North Carolina. You predicted a Stanford victory. And Stanford was held to only 25% from 3 and was out rebounded 43-23.
FUNDAMENTALS.
Guess anyone who grew up in the south has no understanding of the game. LOL.

To be fair, I'm not siding with either one of you, but the lengths grown men go to on this board to one-up someone and satisfy their egos is astounding.

This isn't Jr. High. Present your arguments like adults. Quit going after one another because someone disagrees so you can make yourself feel better about yourself. We're all fans of the same team, and we're all going to have differing opinions. The sooner a lot of you realize that, the sooner we all can get to where discussing Tide Hoops on this board is a lot less cluttered with shit, and filled with good banter.

i would like for everybody in this thread that has said in the last 6 months--give oats a raise . tie him up long term --to please hold up your right hand

we are 2 games in. long way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrmsnTusk4

The opportunities remaining in the tournament now are for bad losses. I don’t expect them, but you are right the opportunity for good was lost with that abortion last night.

To be fair, I'm not siding with either one of you, but the lengths grown men go to on this board to one-up someone and satisfy their egos is astounding.

This isn't Jr. High. Present your arguments like adults. Quit going after one another because someone disagrees so you can make yourself feel better about yourself. We're all fans of the same team, and we're all going to have differing opinions. The sooner a lot of you realize that, the sooner we all can get to where discussing Tide Hoops on this board is a lot less cluttered with shit, and filled with good banter.
No ego here. He started the garbage- portrays someone who thinks he is smarter than everyone else and accused me of saying something I did not say. Do understand what you are saying though.

Reactions: CrmsnTusk4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT