Gold Member
Feb 13, 2017
starting 5 for the first game.
q at the point
burnett at the 2
primo at the 3
gurley at the 4
alex t at the 5
im sure jd and ellis will start plenty of games and q may want to come off of the bench. that leaves shack, bediako, wilson, holt, ambrose, miles, and gary.

Reactions: xcop
q at the point
burnett at the 2
primo at the 3
gurley at the 4
alex t at the 5
im sure jd and ellis will start plenty of games and q may want to come off of the bench. that leaves shack, bediako, wilson, holt, ambrose, miles, and gary.

I have no idea how Oats will split time with these players. The real challenge will be getting all of these players to buy-in on the team and be ok with limited minutes

q at the point
burnett at the 2
primo at the 3
gurley at the 4
alex t at the 5
You have a lot of faith in Burnett, a kid that didn't play all that we'll for TT and he quit on his team midway through the season. I say he comes off the bench and might just quit again.

Going to be a great problem to have. Oats used a bunch of starting lineups to great success this year. A guy like Quinerly embraced coming off the bench and was the 6th man of the year. I think he was more than satisfied in his growth during the year. We will play even faster and be able to push it like never before to utilize the depth of this roster. If we are winning and kicking @ss I don't think we'll see much grumbling from the bench players. Oats is smart and will get guys their minutes. Winning and winning big will be one of the best times in all these players lives. I LOVE WINNING

Reactions: terp john and xcop
You have a lot of faith in Burnett, a kid that didn't play all that we'll for TT and he quit on his team midway through the season. I say he comes off the bench and might just quit again.
it was a bad fit and i dont think it was his fault. im not going back and forth on this with you so say something and leave it at that.

q at the point
burnett at the 2
primo at the 3
gurley at the 4
alex t at the 5

Interesting that you put the leading scorer on our SEC championship team on the bench...I’m not necessarily saying that won’t happen (Shack needs to improve his efficiency IMO), but it’s a hot take for sure.

Also agree with questioning Burnett as a starter...he will have to shoot it a lot better than he did last season.

Fun topic...I would guess:

Q, Shack, Primo, Gary, Tchkou...with JD, Ellis and Bediako first off the bench.

it was a bad fit and i dont think it was his fault. im not going back and forth on this with you so say something and leave it at that.
Bad fit is code for excuses. He got there and realized he wasn't as good as he thought he was. So instead of staying and getting coached up by one of the best coaches in CBB, he took his ball and went home.

Being a “bad fit” doesn't cause you to shoot 28% from the field, 17% from 3....

Going to be a great problem to have. Oats used a bunch of starting lineups to great success this year. A guy like Quinerly embraced coming off the bench and was the 6th man of the year. I think he was more than satisfied in his growth during the year. We will play even faster and be able to push it like never before to utilize the depth of this roster. If we are winning and kicking @ss I don't think we'll see much grumbling from the bench players. Oats is smart and will get guys their minutes. Winning and winning big will be one of the best times in all these players lives. I LOVE WINNING
Agreed. Definitely a good problem to have. We have gone from having maybe one or two quality players to trying to decide how to divvy up minutes. It'll most likely take a minute to gel, but when they do, they will be solid competitors.

Reactions: terp john
Bad fit is code for excuses. He got there and realized he wasn't as good as he thought he was. So instead of staying and getting coached up by one of the best coaches in CBB, he took his ball and went home.

Yeah, I think Burnett is going to be really, really good. But the "not a good fit" thing is total code. I'm glad we have him and he'll help us. But, that doesn't change the fact that he faced a little adversity and quit. Period.

Apparently Oats disagrees with you

Except that Quinerly had similar numbers at Villanova and look what he did this year. Could he have improved? Sure, but it’s also likely he had more confidence in the offense oats runs and the freedom they are allowed to play with

Yeah, I think Burnett is going to be really, really good. But the "not a good fit" thing is total code. I'm glad we have him and he'll help us. But, that doesn't change the fact that he faced a little adversity and quit. Period.
JQ just a quitter too?

• Wow
Reactions: xcop
It depends on who we play and their style. For bigger teams you will see a heavier dose of Gurley & Frenchie, but if we can go smaller I think we go JQ, Shaq, Primo, Burnett/Ellis, Frenchie,

It depends on who we play and their style. For bigger teams you will see a heavier dose of Gurley & Frenchie, but if we can go smaller I think we go JQ, Shaq, Primo, Burnett/Ellis, Frenchie,
I love your optimism on Gurley being in Tuscaloosa next year NT555.

ROLL TIDE!!!!

Do you also think Q sucks and is a quitter?

ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE did he say that Burnett sucks. Saying that he was not as good as he thought is a faaaaaar cry from he sucks.

ROLL TIDE!!!!

He said being a "bad fit" didn't cause him to play poorly. Q was widely regarded as a bad fit at nova in the same type of situation. I'm glad we had him this year.

He said being a "bad fit" didn't cause him to play poorly. Q was widely regarded as a bad fit at nova in the same type of situation. I'm glad we had him this year.
I agree 100% on having Quinerly at Bama. I think he was our best option on offense and I truly believe that if he can improve (greatly) his defense he could be a 6-7 year NBA guy.

ROLL TIDE!!!!

It’s almost like we need 3-4 guys to be out 3-4 games at a time with minor injuries so everyone can get enough minutes. Then everyone is healthy for the tournaments and just focused on winning. Stupid thought for sure, but I just have no idea how Oats is going to keep everyone satisfied. Glad it is not my problem.

Apparently Oats disagrees with you

Except that Quinerly had similar numbers at Villanova and look what he did this year. Could he have improved? Sure, but it’s also likely he had more confidence in the offense oats runs and the freedom they are allowed to play with
JQ also wasn't a good as he thought he was right out of HS. He also had a whole year to redshirt and get better. JQ transferring was a little different; he played the entire season and didn't leave halfway through. That's just flat out quitting and everyone here would say the same if JD did this next year because he wasn't starting.
Do you also think Q sucks and is a quitter?
Nowhere did I say the kid sucks. But the quitter part, absolutely...

Going by what I think was happening this year...We will have a 10 man rotation, while the other 3 will be foul or injury backups and will play quality minutes once we are winning by 30 with 8 minutes to go...

It's not really a starters and backups like a traditional format....Oats appears to create 2 quality teams.

The starters will be the 3 best players + 2 that play well together and the bench will be the next best 5.

He'll rotate 3 out, wait a few minutes then rotate the other 2....then he'll cycle back around and stick with the hot hands unless winded.

I'll go ahead and break the news for us.... we're still a little cursed...

We're so deep, we'll have 5 season ending injuries before the season starts.

tumblr_nx9x84ZYJ41shob51o1_400.gifv

CNO has stated numerous times it is more about minutes played than who starts(see JQ), so this is, more or less, for kicks. I have no idea how well Alex T is going to come back and be ready to play coming off an Achilles injury(I am not a doctor), so I am not sure where to place him.
My guess for starters:
JD
Shack
Primo
Gurley(if we get him)
Gary

Minutes played:
JQ
Shack
JD
Primo
Gurley?

Depending on their development, I think they may rotate the bigs in and out more(Gary, Alex, Wilson, Bediako). It worked so well this year bringing JQ off the bench, I just imagine, especially if JD is ready to play SEC caliber BB, that Oats will do the same.

I'll go ahead and break the news for us.... we're still a little cursed...

We're so deep, we'll have 5 season ending injuries before the season starts.
It would not surprise me if a couple of them got pregnant before the season starts.

If we add Gurley and lose Rojas and Ambrose it becomes difficult to determine a 10 man rotation because who's the 11-13 guys?

13- Holt, 12- Miles, 11- Bediako?
Great problem to have but some tough decisions to be made. I keep thinking of guys we’ve had who started or got reasonable minutes who would have no shot on this team.

JQ also wasn't a good as he thought he was right out of HS. He also had a whole year to redshirt and get better. JQ transferring was a little different; he played the entire season and didn't leave halfway through. That's just flat out quitting and everyone here would say the same if JD did this next year because he wasn't starting.

Nowhere did I say the kid sucks. But the quitter part, absolutely...

If a coach is allowed to push players out to make room for better players, players should be allowed to leave when they see fit and not be called quitters. Just my opinion, but anyone who calls a college athlete a quitter has messed up priorities

If a coach is allowed to push players out to make room for better players, players should be allowed to leave when they see fit and not be called quitters. Just my opinion, but anyone who calls a college athlete a quitter has messed up priorities
You are talking to the guy that has been beating the drum for players to be able to transfer when they want without having to sit out, as least the first time they transfer.

That being said, he quit in the middle of the season. That's not just deciding to move on; that's leaving when things are not going your way. That's walking out on teammates.

How many of you called out Alabama football players for wanting to leave Alabama?

As a father of 3 boys, zero chance I would allow them to walk out on their team in the middle of a season.

???? Q was called a "bad fit" at Villanova and it was obviously not code for he wasn't that good....the guy is a stud. And you have to consider the small sample size with those shooting numbers...he only had a small amount of shots. Some of our best shooter this year probably had stretches where they had the same number of shots and had a similar percentage. That being said there is no way he starts over Shack.

I think the disagreement here comes down to the distinction between transferring schools after the season (which I’m all for and think kids should be able to play immediately), and quitting in the middle of the season. Huge difference. Also, why can a college athlete not be a quitter? If a middle school, high school, college, or pro athlete quits on his team 12 games into a season, that’s pretty much what they are.

I think the disagreement here comes down to the distinction between transferring schools after the season (which I’m all for and think kids should be able to play immediately), and quitting in the middle of the season. Huge difference. Also, why can a college athlete not be a quitter? If a middle school, high school, college, or pro athlete quits on his team 12 games into a season, that’s pretty much what they are.
all situations are different and we really dont know what happened. i have heard stories on bobby knight and i would have quit on the spot and my father might have beat his ass. chris beard coached under knight and alot of his players were going to leave whether it be in the season or at the end of the season. we will see what happens at texas.

Reactions: EugDan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT