ADVERTISEMENT

Langston Wilson Released from his LOI

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Langston Wilson has officially asked for a release from his LOI per his social media and it will be granted. This is really tough. I hate to see this happen to such a good kid with a great story, but the numbers didn’t work and you knew someone would be asked to go. Unfortunately Langston is one of them. This makes Alabama’s scholarship count to 14. With the new NCAA rule being voted on to move it to 14 scholarships next year, Alabama may choose to wait until the ruling to make a decision on that scholarship.

Dang, I know we needed some room, but was looking forward to seeing what Wilson could contribute to the team.

Reactions: rsaxoniii
Hate to see this. I think he's a better fit for our offense with his skill set than Bediako is. Someone is gonna get a darn good player. I hope we're not trading 2 or 3 years of Wilson for 1 year of Rojas. That wouldn't make sense, at least not to me. Rojas isn't nearly as skilled. I see him getting even less minutes next year than he did this past season if he returns.

Hope the number goes at 14. Really hate seeing this type of thing. I rag on other schools when they do it so I’m a bit disappointed in this situation. Would’ve been really fun to watch with his skillset but that’s the business I guess.

@Harper41 do you think Langston was asked to go leave by Alabama or he decided to ask for a release due to more recent additions to the frontcourt coming in? A little weird to me, because all things equal, why would Rojas not be the one that was asked to leave?

Reactions: AirBoozehound
Sounds like it was his decision but idk

“First and foremost I want to thank Alabama for all the love and support they have shown,” Wilson wrote on Instagram. “This is by far one of the best fan bases in the world! With that being said though after long talks with the coaches and those within the inner circle I feel as though that it is best that I am released from my NLI and reopen my recruitment.

“I love Alabama and they will always be a strong option for me going forward through this process and will remain so please respect my decision as I go through this process. #Godsplan”

Reactions: pfaud001
@Harper41 do you think Langston was asked to go leave by Alabama or he decided to ask for a release due to more recent additions to the frontcourt coming in? A little weird to me, because all things equal, why would Rojas not be the one that was asked to leave?
He wanted more playing time and just based on what I’ve seen of him this year, it would’ve taken a year for him to make an impact due to the depth of the roster.

The coaches have a great relationship with Rojas and I don’t see him leaving now. He won’t play but very minimal minutes, but he loves the staff and will stay with them unless that rule doesn’t pass.
Feels like another Avery Jr situation to me. Just wish we could use that 14th scholarship on someone capable of playing on this level. No disrespect to Rojas because he could be a good player at a program like UAB. But he just doesn’t have it for the SEC.

Feels like another Avery Jr situation to me. Just wish we could use that 14th scholarship on someone capable of playing on this level. No disrespect to Rojas because he could be a good player at a program like UAB. But he just doesn’t have it for the SEC.
giphy.gif

Say what you want about Rojas, but he is a tough rebounder and made plays throughout the year. He is definitely not the best option on the team, but he is no Jr.

Makes sense. Gurley probably stole a good amount of his potential minutes.
I agree. Best case scenario IMO. Didn't really like getting rid of Miles or Ambrose (even though they still might leave too) so you take a kid who is proven at this level over a guy who isn't. Wilson may contribute in a year or so but by that time you've already recruited somebody else. We can't play 13 guys. Man this depth is crazy.

giphy.gif

Say what you want about Rojas, but he is a tough rebounder and made plays throughout the year. He is definitely not the best option on the team, but he is no Jr.
Rojas played much better towards the end of the year. He had a stretch mid season where he was literally averaging a turnover per touch

In defense of Rojas.... he carried extra weight this past year, probably because he was going to be a post backup and have to play against bigger/stronger guys, plus he was still recovering from ACL, maybe CNO knew he wouldn't be as mobile until he fully recovered.

All being said he was playing out of position and if he remains, he will have a hard time seeing the floor or maybe CNO knows something we don't, maybe a leadership role to stabilize the roster. I trust CNO.

And for the Rojas haters, he has two more years, as this past year was a free year. In my mind he could serve those two years better elsewhere. ROLL TIDE!

Reactions: bet9
He’s done just fine. It’s a tough business. Saban has done this to numerous guys over the years. It’s a business that unfortunately the kids are part of the rough parts at times.
But hadn’t he already signed? This is a little different .

Reactions: Southlick
Langston needs more work on his game as he didn’t even play high school basketball. You could possibly see him go back to JUCO and work towards transferring next season. However I think a high major team will take a chance on him.
I agree with Langston staying at Juco... and developing some more. He sounds like he is still open to rolling with the Tide if a situation were to come about.

Reactions: bet9
Rojas played much better towards the end of the year. He had a stretch mid season where he was literally averaging a turnover per touch
He made basically a game winner, though. Yes, he was awful in some stretches. He still knows the system and knows what is expected of him. I don't like losing Wilson, but I would rather lose him than Miles.

I see people posting on Rojas, and I understand the complaints, but he does some things well. He brings physicality and toughness that this team needs with being a veteran player. Those are sometimes tough to replace.
I cant remember the game, but early in the season he single handedly won a game for us. We were getting bullied down low and he was the only one that could match the other teams toughness. He adds some nasty that a team full of 5 stars could use.

I cant remember the game, but early in the season he single handedly won a game for us. We were getting bullied down low and he was the only one that could match the other teams toughness. He adds some nasty that a team full of 5 stars could use.
I believe it was the Florida game.

Langston Wilson has officially asked for a release from his LOI per his social media and it will be granted. This is really tough. I hate to see this happen to such a good kid with a great story, but the numbers didn’t work and you knew someone would be asked to go. Unfortunately Langston is one of them. This makes Alabama’s scholarship count to 14. With the new NCAA rule being voted on to move it to 14 scholarships next year, Alabama may choose to wait until the ruling to make a decision on that scholarship.
wilson could make highlight dunks but with the way oats likes his bigs to shoot he might not fit.

Hate to lose Wilson but this is where college basketball is today. Either get someone from the portal who is already developed or take someone who needs a year or two to develop. We chose someone who could help us immediately, just like most programs would have done.

It is my understanding Wilson understood and handled the situation well.

On Rojas, remember that before the season, Oats said he is one of our top 5 players. He must see something and hopefully another year will prove that to everyone. His effort is always 100%.
You can see the potential. He’s got the quick twitch muscles and some skill inside.

Reactions: bet9 and cpat4bama
But hadn’t he already signed? This is a little different .
I'm totally reading between the lines here and guessing - but I'm thinking that in the past 2 weeks we sign Bediako and Gurley to shore up the frontcourt, and Langston saw his potential share of minutes shredded, which prompted him to ask for his release. And since we needed to drop someone anyway, the coaches didn't exactly beg him to stay and it made their roster cut decision that much easier. Again, no way to know for sure, but that's my thought.

I'm totally reading between the lines here and guessing - but I'm thinking that in the past 2 weeks we sign Bediako and Gurley to shore up the frontcourt, and Langston saw his potential share of minutes shredded, which prompted him to ask for his release. And since we needed to drop someone anyway, the coaches didn't exactly beg him to stay and it made their roster cut decision that much easier. Again, no way to know for sure, but that's my thought.
I'm sure CNO was in contact with Langston long before any of this transpired and he discussed the various scenarios with him.

Similar to how CNO did with Galin Smith, he met with G and discussed his possible role on this year's team and that G's skill set was not best suited for the system. After the meeting G elected to enter the portal.

He’s done just fine. It’s a tough business. Saban has done this to numerous guys over the years. It’s a business that unfortunately the kids are part of the rough parts at times.
Exactly why I have said for year players should get one "free transfer" plus the graduate transfer.

We are not the only ones doing but damn the kids who are "counseled out" should not have to pay a penalty.

Removing guys already on the team can destroy chemistry and relationships with family and coaches. Rojas battled all year, less than a year recovering from ACL. He should be better next year.

CNO knows what he is doing!
C'mon man! You know that us Internet Coaches know more than the guy that is around these players every day, sees them on and off the court, sees how they react to success and failure, how they accept coaching and how they get along with the other players. That guy is hardly in a position to make decisions on the roster and the team. Heck, we should be coaching the games from the internet. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT