ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Oats fires back at Coach K's call to pause college basketball

Coach K said a month or two before the season that we couldn’t go two years without an NCAA tournament and wanted every team to make it.
His team loses two games at home and now all of a sudden he doesn’t think it’s safe, yet he has his mask around his chin half the time.
Coach Oats said what every coach in America was thinking, but didn’t have the guts to say. Coach K is one of the best to ever do it, but that doesn’t make him immune to criticism. Saban says stuff all the time people don’t agree with, but that doesn’t change that he’s the greatest coach of all time. Kudos to coach Oats for speaking up, and answering a question that was asked to him.
Coach K also said before he had those two losses that we should think about pushing the season back a few months due to the COVID spikes. This further makes Oats comments that he is only doing this because he has a couple of losses laughable. Coach K can take this Alabama team with less talent than his current Duke team further than Oats could; why, because he's a much better coach.

Yep. GOAT sounds pretty stupid on this one. Should Tua lead the Dade County Medical Response Team? I mean, he was a much better QB than that wimpy doctor.
But we should let Coach Oats? Just because we agree with Oats that the season should be played, we should value his medical expertise?

That's basically the stance you are taking.

Either way it's has nothing to do with which coach I agree with, btw, I think the season should be played. It has everything to do with how ignorant Oats sound attacking the motive of someone he doesn't know. Someone who has made a living doing the same thing Oats is doing just at a much higher level of success.

How hard is this for some of you to understand, it's not the disagreeing with him I have a problem with, it's NO saying a guy who could coach Alabama to a Final Four while he struggles to make the NIT with a Lottery Pick at PG, is somehow trying to get out of a season because he has had 2 losses early in the season. That's laughable and makes Oaks look like an odiot.
You are trying too hard to convince everyone of a false narrative. I have heard many national commentators applaud his statements. You are the one who looks soft and appears to be a shine boy for Coach K.

Reactions: Codie B
You are trying too hard to convince everyone of a false narrative. I have heard many national commentators applaud his statements. You are the one who looks soft and appears to be a shine boy for Coach K.
And I have heard many say the same thing I have. It's ok to say I don't agree with him and think the season should be played but WTF is this guy to say Coach K is only doing this because of a couple losses. Even talked about seasons Duke started slow and still went on to the Final Four.

Such a big shot you are on an internet message board. Get your panties out of a knot. You cannot stand Oats and would have never said a word about Avery. Really surprised someone like you with that “ Air Force Academy” education likes to use words like “ idiot” and ignorance. You think you are the smartest guy in the room- laughable. Color a bunch of people unimpressed. And I would bet you are not such a tough guy in person.

Reactions: Denny_DennyCrane
Again, most of you ITT are having a hard time separating whether you agree with the season being played or not, with the way Coach Oats decided to throw shots at Coach K.

Coach K said before the season started that he thought the season should be pushed back and begin in 2021; he went on to talk about expanding the tourney, which would likely benefit Alabama not Duke.

So the fact that he said these things before the 2 losses only make Oats comments seem even more ridiculous to me.

And speaking of the ”comments” themselves, Oats didn't even have the balls to actually make the comments. He let a woman reporter so it for him. At least have the balls to have the words come out of your mouth, not hers.

Such a big shot you are on an internet message board. Get your panties out of a knot. You cannot stand Oats and would have never said a word about Avery. Really surprised someone like you with that “ Air Force Academy” education likes to use words like “ idiot” and ignorance. You think you are the smartest guy in the room- laughable. Color a bunch of people unimpressed. And I would bet you are not such a tough guy in person.
This post reak of insecurity that's a you problem...

Reactions: rcrequesr
But he is the smartest guy in the room. Just ask him. I think he is actually insecure and he comes on here to make himself feel better. Anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot.
Good thing affirmative action allowed him to get an Air Force degree.

Let’s make things simple for those who need it to be simplified. 1) NOBODY is forcing coach K, his staff, or players to play. 2) A reporter posed the question, that a lot of other BB coaches, players, media, people, etc were thinking, and his statement was “you said it not me.” 3) when you are a P5 college BB coach, especially of a blue blood program, making a gazillion $’s a year, you need to accept that the media, amongst many others, is going to question you, at times, in your decisions or statements. If you cannot handle it, you should not be coaching a major college program. 4) I, personally, think that common sense says that the players are safer playing, in the structured environment they are being forced to deal with, than they are being set free. If he truly cares, or thought about his players safety, I would like to think he would come to the same conclusion. 5) coach K’s opinion is as meaningful/less as almost anyone else’s with his background in understanding this virus.
People making ANYTHING of this are just trying to create a news story out of nothing in general. The media and coaches question others statements and integrity EVERY SINGLE DAY. Most of us were thinking, and saying, the same things before coach K’s last “informed” statement. I have had a lot of people tell me how great a coach Harbaugh is(?), and I, amongst many, many others, have questioned his decision making/integrity in his latest decisions/opinions. Move on.

Coach Oats can't hold Coach K’s jockstrap; he is not even remotely close to that man's category as a coach. Coach K has had two home losses early in the season before and still gone on to Final Fours, Oats need to worry about winning a state title first.
I think WHAT CNO said has merit. If Duke hasdnt lost those two games Mike might not even bring it up.

Reactions: Codie B
I think WHAT CNO said has merit. If Duke hasdnt lost those two games Mike might not even bring it up.
I would say, good point, but every thinking person knows this. That is why it was brought up to begin with, and was being discussed before, and even after, that coach Oats media conference by numerous outlets. Yea, like coach Oats, of the mighty blue blood program of Bama BB, saying “you said it, not me” is what brought it to the forefront of media attention. Klingsbury, the year before he was fired at T Tech, questioned CNS motives for saying “is this what we really want college football to become” when it came to the fast paced, no huddle. The great, integrity filled Harbaugh called out CNS on issues that Harbaugh was dead wrong on imop. It happens all the time, but, at least, this one had legitimate substance to it, unlike most others, that are just opinions or media sound bites.

Reactions: winin11
Let’s make things simple for those who need it to be simplified. 1) NOBODY is forcing coach K, his staff, or players to play. 2) A reporter posed the question, that a lot of other BB coaches, players, media, people, etc were thinking, and his statement was “you said it not me.” 3) when you are a P5 college BB coach, especially of a blue blood program, making a gazillion $’s a year, you need to accept that the media, amongst many others, is going to question you, at times, in your decisions or statements. If you cannot handle it, you should not be coaching a major college program. 4) I, personally, think that common sense says that the players are safer playing, in the structured environment they are being forced to deal with, than they are being set free. If he truly cares, or thought about his players safety, I would like to think he would come to the same conclusion. 5) coach K’s opinion is as meaningful/less as almost anyone else’s with his background in understanding this virus.
People making ANYTHING of this are just trying to create a news story out of nothing in general. The media and coaches question others statements and integrity EVERY SINGLE DAY. Most of us were thinking, and saying, the same things before coach K’s last “informed” statement. I have had a lot of people tell me how great a coach Harbaugh is(?), and I, amongst many, many others, have questioned his decision making/integrity in his latest decisions/opinions. Move on.
1. Actually if the ACC say they are playing then they are playing.
2. A lot of coaches had the dignity to disagree without taking an unnecessary and uninformed shot at Coach K
3. Coach K is a big boy who can handle his own, I don't see anywhere that has Coach K complaining about people disagreeing with him.
4. I agree that players should play, have said this already ITT. But everyone is entitled to their opinions to include Coach K.
5. This is not true, just as Coach Saban’s opinion that we should play the CFB season carries more weight than others, so does Coach K who is equally as successful of a coach, carries more weight in CBB.

Not accurate given the simple fact that Coach K took the same stance BEFORE the season started. He and Rick P wanted to push the start of the season to 2021 because of the recent spikes. That along makes Oats statement look silly.

I agree with every word Oats said, but he shouldn’t have said it. Just my opinion.

I agree with every word Oats said, but he shouldn’t have said it. Just my opinion.
I agree 100% that we should play the season and that the players are better off being in a controlled environment like the one created for them.

I disagree with the notion Coach K wouldn't be saying this it he didn't have two losses, considering the fact Coach K said the same thing before the season even started.

1. Actually if the ACC say they are playing then they are playing.
2. A lot of coaches had the dignity to disagree without taking an unnecessary and uninformed shot at Coach K
3. Coach K is a big boy who can handle his own, I don't see anywhere that has Coach K complaining about people disagreeing with him.
4. I agree that players should play, have said this already ITT. But everyone is entitled to their opinions to include Coach K.
5. This is not true, just as Coach Saban’s opinion that we should play the CFB season carries more weight than others, so does Coach K who is equally as successful of a coach, carries more weight in CBB.
1) the ACC CANNOT make Duke play if their administration feels it is unsafe to play. They, CERTAINLY, cannot force an individual coach, or player, to play. Our country, THANKFULLY, hasn’t turned into Venezuela just yet.
2) the reporter posed the question, and coach Oats said “you said it not me.” He disagreed with coach K’s opinion on the subject, and quite frankly, do you, regardless of his earlier thoughts(like 2-3 months ago, doctor/coach K had any idea what the Covid virus situation would look like today, or that there is any reasonable chance it will improve before a vaccine can be implemented to all the college BB players, so delaying a month or two is meaningless) really think if his team was 4-0, in dominating style, would have had the same statement? Come on. Sure coach Oats could have just said “no comment” to the question, but the inference is the same.
3) I agree. Nobody here is complaining about it hurting coach K’s feelings.
4) I agree again. Coach K is entitled to his opinion, no different than anyone else. His opinion doesn’t carry any more weight, regardless of his accomplishments as a college BB coach, than coach Oats, Taylor Swift, or anyone else that is not considered a medical expert on this particular subject. Being in his position, he has to accept that some, on a national level, may disagree with it. I imagine he knew this beforehand.
5) CNS can have all the opinions he wants. If he is told by the medical experts, state government, etc that there will not be a football season, than there will not be one, no matter how much he screams or disagrees with it. No medical professional, scientist, government official, etc sat with CNS or coach K and said “well, we will leave it up to your vast scientific expertise on this subject. Should we have a college football/BB season?”

Not accurate given the simple fact that Coach K took the same stance BEFORE the season started. He and Rick P wanted to push the start of the season to 2021 because of the recent spikes. That along makes Oats statement look silly.
Sorry goat, not buying what you’re selling

Not true, the majority on this board did no such thing. A post or two but well short of a majority
I know I was in a thread where I was the minority and there were a lot more than a couple of posters.

Some say he shouldn't say anything, other say yes. He was answering a question that a reporter asked and he has the right to his own opinion. I like Coach K, but not on this. It's a bad look. Just because people are famous, respectable or "coaching Gods" doesn't mean they are not fallible and cannot be questioned. In the end they are just like us!

So the question is......Are non-conference teams the only teams to have the "cooties" or are the just belter than Duke?
Despite what others have said, they do not have the option to not play the conference schedule. No more than Nebraska had the option to go schedule games outside of the Big 10 this year.

When you are a part of a conference you agree to go by the rules of that conference, but Duke does control their who they play none-conference.

Despite what others have said, they do not have the option to not play the conference schedule. No more than Nebraska had the option to go schedule games outside of the Big 10 this year.

When you are a part of a conference you agree to go by the rules of that conference, but Duke does control their who they play none-conference.

It's the reasoning which is faulty from Coach K. I think UNC can get Covid just like Illinois. He is not a "sacred cow".

It's the reasoning which is faulty from Coach K. I think UNC can get Covid just like Illinois. He is not a "sacred cow".
That's fine to disagree; he's doing what he thinks is best for his kids. I can't fault a man for that.

BS, Oats didn't just disagree which is his right; he attacked the man’s character and motives for not thinking it is safe to play.

I am sure Coach K could give zero shits what a nobody compared to him has to say. I think it makes Oats look like a fool.
I feel sorry for you! It's amazing how high you put coaches and athletes on a pedestal and act like they're mortals! They're all just men that will die one day and be gone, just like the man picking up your trash. Coach K could win a million games, it still dosen't make him anymore of a man when it comes to opinions! Like others have said, evidently if he's still taking his players out on the court then its more to then worrying about covid. He's had every chance to refuse to play. Now with 2 losses he all the sudden is worried about covid.

Reactions: Denny_DennyCrane
I feel sorry for you! It's amazing how high you put coaches and athletes on a pedestal and act like they're mortals! They're all just men that will die one day and be gone, just like the man picking up your trash. Coach K could win a million games, it still dosen't make him anymore of a man when it comes to opinions! Like others have said, evidently if he's still taking his players out on the court then its more to then worrying about covid. He's had every chance to refuse to play. Now with 2 losses he all the sudden is worried about covid.
I am not sure why this is so hard for people ITT to comprehend; it has nothing to do with disagreeing with his opinion. I've said more than a few times agree that the games should be played.

It's the cheap shot that I think is classless of Oats. Not only is it classless but it's wrong; Coach K said BEFORE the season that we should wait until 2021 to start the season due to the COVID spikes.

Even worse thatOats didn't even have the balls to actually say it; he let a female reporter say it for him.

To think that Coach K is worried about a couple of losses to start the season is laughable, the man is the equivalent of Saban at the CBB level.

EDIT: to say I am the last dude on this site to idolize anyone. Saban is ours and the GOAT, and if he did or said something I disagree with I do not hesitate to say my peace.

Last edited:
I am not sure why this is so hard for people ITT to comprehend; it has nothing to do with disagreeing with his opinion. I've said more than a few times agree that the games should be played.

It's the cheap shot that I think is classless of Oats. Not only is it classless but it's wrong; Coach K said BEFORE the season that we should wait until 2021 to start the season due to the COVID spikes.

Even worse thatOats didn't even have the balls to actually say it; he let a female reporter say it for him.

To think that Coach K is worried about a couple of losses to start the season is laughable, the man is the equivalent of Saban at the CBB level.
https://247sports.com/Article/Seton...e-Krzyzewski-Duke-basketball-coach-156677402/

Do you read my posts before responding to them? Or is it just a matter of not being able to comprehend?
I do read them but I also understand your position and your bias and your feeble attempts to push your false narrative. Nothing to this story but a difference in philosophy between two men. You like Coach K’s and I like Nate Oats. Your position is lame and while Coach K is a great basketball coach, he is a wuss. He is disingenuous and has a history of being so.

I do read them but I also understand your position and your bias and your feeble attempts to push your false narrative. Nothing to this story but a difference in philosophy between two men. You like Coach K’s and I like Nate Oats. Your position is lame and while Coach K is a great basketball coach, he is a wuss. He is disingenuous and has a history of being so.
Ok so you don't read them. Had you actually read them you would have read me say in several posts I agree with Oats that the season should be played.

My issue with Oats was never his stance on if we should play but the little bitch way he went about taking shots at a man that has done more for that game than he ever will.

Oats accused him of not wanting to play because he's lost a couple of games, despite the fact Coach K held this opinion before the season even started.

Also it's not an opinion that Coach K shits on Oats when it comes to accomplishments on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT