ADVERTISEMENT

New Basketball Facility Coming

If I said I don't like it would it hurt everyone's feelings
I'm underwhelmed, especially with it being so small. If capacity is just over 10,000 it'll be the 3rd smallest arena in the SEC. A program of our stature deserves more than that IMO. We're the second winningest basketball program in SEC history for crying out loud. We're not a bottom feeder that is struggling to sell tickets.

Reactions: BamaintheLou
I'm underwhelmed, especially with it being so small. If capacity is just over 10,000 it'll be the 3rd smallest arena in the SEC. A program of our stature deserves more than that IMO. We're the second winningest basketball program in SEC history for crying out loud. We're not a bottom feeder that is struggling to sell tickets.
I think the focus is on building a great game atmosphere and that’s what will be accomplished

Wonder what % of tickets will be allocated to season ticket holders vs general admission???

Wonder what % of tickets will be allocated to season ticket holders vs general admission???
They are keeping 2,200 for students around the court. This year we sold 6,700 seasons tickets. That would leave about 1200 tickets. I imagine season ticket request will go up with the excitement of the new arena plus I think the games will be a very fun atmosphere that people will want to be part of

Reactions: dleet
They are keeping 2,200 for students around the court. This year we sold 6,700 seasons tickets. That would leave about 1200 tickets. I imagine season ticket request will go up with the excitement of the new arena plus I think the games will be a very fun atmosphere that people will want to be part of
I don’t expect there to be many, if any, tickets available on a single game basis. Students and season ticket holders should gobble them all up.

I don’t expect there to be many, if any, tickets available on a single game basis. Students and season ticket holders should gobble them all up.
They’ll keep some available. But you are kind of hitting on the point of the reduced capacity. They don’t want unsold tickets.

They’ll keep some available. But you are kind of hitting on the point of the reduced capacity. They don’t want unsold tickets.
As long as we’re winning ticket sales won’t be an issue, even in an arena much larger than the proposed new one. Bama fans will support a winner. Always have and always will. Football speaks for itself, but look at gymnastics and softball. Gymnastics crowds are usually at, or very close to, capacity. Softball has led the nation in attendance for years, and just set a record with over 3,100 season tickets sold. I don’t think there’s another softball stadium in the country that seats anywhere close to that number.

So when will it open? 2023/24 season?
Start in April of 2023 and play in it by October, that seems fast for that big of a project. Could it be done in that amount of time? But even if they could do it in time, we wouldn’t get much practice in it.

Alabama sells out maybe 3 games a year in Coleman. You are critical of everything to do with basketball.

If I said I don't like it would it hurt everyone's feelings

I'm with you on this.

The outside looks great but the inside just looks... odd. It's like they're going out of their way to not look symmetrical. Like the 70s/80s baseball fields that shoe horned football across the field.

I hope this is just the rough version and the final is a lot less odd. The conversion to gymnastics looks terrible and I would have liked a purely basketball facility only. A gym where if they do gymnastics it doesn't require a large reconfiguration of the floor. Multipurpose sucks for a basketball arena if you can't spend the money to do it right. This is multipurpose on a shoestring budget.

Not a fan of windows in a basketball arena.

Very much not a fan of purposely making a tiny arena. It seems incredibly short sighted at the moment. Fair enough if you don't go back to 15k but no reason we don't shoot for 12.5k or 13k. We can support that. It's like we're planning to go back to the CAG/CAJ days when Dec games were barely attended.

If we're going to do it... do it right this time and don't have buyers remorse in three years if Oats really takes off.

Last edited:
Isn't our paid attendance over the last 10+ years more than 10,000?

I think its been above that for a while if you just counted tickets sold. But this will bring out the pitchfork parade that assume every empty seat 15 rows from the court is a FoG sitting on seats for points that shouldn't have seats at all.

I heard this week that one of the key problems for that isn't actually the point totals chasers but rather ticket brokers and UK fans that want cheaper conference tournament ticket books than they can get on stubhub. It's apparently how UK just owns the conference tournament. They buy up as many other teams tickets as they can knowing the average small town basketball fan isn't going to order tourney tickets.

Why does it have to look like a Mega Church in the South? I dont like the big boxy warehouse look! Why not a more circular arena like the NBA uses! Something more like the lakers arena!🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Sorry just fidnt wait 60 years just to rebuild Coleman!🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
10k is a healthy college basketball crowd. Yes, huge Saturday games like Baylor last weekend and UK tomorrow will sell out Coleman, but this new arena will greatly help attendance with a 6 PM Tuesday tip.

It’s going to be a state of the art facility with a great game atmosphere. Looks awesome.

10k is a healthy college basketball crowd. Yes, huge Saturday games like Baylor last weekend and UK tomorrow will sell out Coleman, but this new arena will greatly help attendance with a 6 PM Tuesday tip.

It’s going to be a state of the art facility with a great game atmosphere. Looks awesome.
How is it going to help attendance? We have only had one home game this season where the crowd was below the new arena's capacity.

How is it going to help attendance? We have only had one home game this season where the crowd was below the new arena's capacity.

I didn’t know that - but I can tell you on weeknight games that even if the total attendance numbers are there, it looks terrible because the arena is so big and you have empty seats spread all over. Fans spread out. Looks like an all general admission crowd where you can just pick and choose your seats.

Look I hear your point. When it was packed for Baylor Saturday that was the best Coleman crowd I’ve seen. But this new arena is going be awesome and be a way better experience than Coleman, in my opinion.

I'll admit I quit going to games years ago because I got sick and tired of trying to find good seats and then walking in to see all the seats I wanted were empty.
I was use to several people (like the stock market) selling tickets outside and that disappeared. Games appeared sold out except for the seats in the sky.

I also refused to buy season tickets and sit in the corner. I offered a stupid amount of money to cheat.

With that being said, will our new gym still be half full because of these assholes who have season tickets in the best seats not showing up or not selling their tickets?

Feel like I've been waiting for a Ferrari and got a Kia van
Regardless of looks, which I think are awesome but we’ll never all agree on that…. I think anyone who attends a game will leave agreeing they have created an awesome CBB atmosphere and I promise you that is the goal and that is what is best for our basketball program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT