ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball ⚾️ Amazing how the two best teams in CBB utilizes the mid-range shot

Bingo! He runs an offense and not plays. Sets take away from the fluidity of offense.
It’s drive and kick. I wouldn’t call it an offense in terms of the actual offense getting guys open. It’s just spacing and players getting people open using dribble penetration. That’s why when teams kept us from running and could guard the ball without helping a ton, we struggled. We should have better ball handlers and finishers coming, which will help in the half court. But I’d still like to see more motion and more of an offense at times.

For the record, Oats doesn’t care if they take open mid range. It’s just not an analytically good shot, which it’s not, but he doesn’t care if they take it.
If he doesn’t care, Bama would take more of them. And he wouldn’t talk only about threes, layups and free throws. I bet we took less the one a game and that’s stretching it.

Last edited:
All shots at the rim aren’t good ones. We took plenty of highly contested layups. When we put it in the floor, the defender can just run to the rim bc there is zero chance we are pulling up and shooting mid range.
The question is, is an open 12 footer better than a highly contested layup? I think so, unless the player is an elite finisher. But it’s clear, Oats doesn’t want the mid range shot.
CNO has not said don't take midrange jumpers... players take them ever game... a view of some losses
UCLA ~ Bama was 1 for 7, UCLA was 5 for 23
@ Mizzou Bama was 1 for 12, Mizzou 7 for 17
@ Arkansas Bama was 2 for 9, Ark 7 for 19
@ Oklahoma Bama was 0 for 7, OU 7 for 26

CNO provides the flexibility for a player to make plays... and he wants them to make good decisions.

Unfortunately, we have seen some players that are not as graceful as they need to be in handling the ball, decision making - especially plowing right on toward the rim, timidity @ the rim, performing a jump stop after they pass the ball, etc.

The question is: were this past season's players capable of making pull-up jumpers @ a 35-40% rate? or did CNO do a heck of job coaching the talent he had at hand.

Not all bad points, although I think I disagree about Herb and Petty hurting us from
A talent perspective. But, I’m
Not sure what that has to do with whether or not an open 15 footer is better than a contested layup.
Those guys werent mid range guys. Herbs a slasher and Petty is catch shoot guy. I think they will be replaced with guys that can hit those mid range jumpers. All the bigs Oats have recruited have that in their game. So I agree that its an issue but i believe youll see more once Oats has a rotation of his guys

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
Those guys werent mid range guys. Herbs a slasher and Petty is catch shoot guy. I think they will be replaced with guys that can hit those mid range jumpers. All the bigs Oats have recruited have that in their game. So I agree that its an issue but i believe youll see more once Oats has a rotation of his guys
Totally agree on Herb, but disagree on Petty. He could hit the open midrange jumper. Shack could as well as Bruner and Reese.

It’s drive and kick. I wouldn’t call it an offense in terms of the actual offense getting guys open. It’s just spacing and players getting people open using dribble penetration. That’s why when teams kept us from running and could guard the ball without helping a ton, we struggled. We should have better ball handlers and finishers coming, which will help in the half court. But I’d still like to see more motion and more of an offense at times.
Sure it is. It's called the "Dribble Drive Offense" and the spacing and Kick is part of the offense. He's just modified it. Sometimes we even come out in 5-out formation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: therealsquid
And Q was the only one who could finish at the rim with any consistency.
Ellis was excellent at beating his man off the dribble. Petty could beat his man one on one but lacked the ability to finish around the rim consistently. We should be excellent next year with the addition of JD finishing at the rim. JQ is elite at finishing at the rim with his array of finishes. Hence the self proclaimed term "Jelly" which he patented.

Reactions: pfaud001
I will continue to beat this drum that as long as the philosophy is to damn near never take that shot, Bama ceiling is about where it is now, Sweet 16 maybe Elite Eight some years.
Could not disagree more. 3-pointers and close shots are the wave of the future. If you shoot 50 2-point midrangers and hit 40%, you get 40 points. If you shoot 50 3-pointers and hit 30%, you get 45 points. You score more hitting less shots with 3-pointers and missing midrangers is a waste of time. Just dribble back a few feet and shoot a three.

Just like hurry-up zone read RPO offenses have changed football, so is the Golden Warriors model going to change basketball.

Last edited:
While we're at it, can Alabama go back to utilizing the fullback out of the I-Formation? So many things can go wrong with a pass.
Talk about an overkill, drama queen response. I guess Baylor was running their version of the I-formation when the won the Natty. Playing against another I-Formation team.

Sure it is. It's called the "Dribble Drive Offense" and the spacing and Kick is part of the offense. He's just modified it. Sometimes we even come out in 5-out formation.

I know what it’s called. You literally said sets take away from flow. You were complaining about sets. We run sets too. 4 people go set up in a spot and one guy tries to beat his man off the dribble. I’ll take some true sets over that some times.

Reactions: anon_z8qxv7qt5719f
I know what it’s called. You literally said sets take away from flow. You were complaining about sets. We run sets too. 4 people go set up in a spot and one guy tries to beat his man off the dribble. I’ll take some true sets over that some times.
I'm talking about "plays", I guess I should've clarified. That there are no specific plays "set play" for any specific player. CNO said in his interview that "sets" take away from the flow of the game.

Could not disagree more. 3-pointers and close shots are the wave of the future. If you shoot 50 2-point midrangers and hit 40%, you get 40 points. If you shoot 50 3-pointers and hit 30%, you get 45 points. You score more hitting less shots with 3-pointers and missing midrangers is a waste of time. Just dribble back a few feet and shoot a three.

Just like hurry-up zone read RPO offenses have changed football, so is the Golden Warriors model going to change basketball.
You’re wasting your time quoting actual stats/analytics. The ones saying we should take more midrange jumpers don’t respond to the posts with actual logic applied.

I'm talking about "plays", I guess I should've clarified. That there are no specific plays "set plsy" for any specific player. CNO said in his interview that "sets" take away from the flow of the game.
But they can be beneficial. I’d rather not depend on either one 100% of the time. We are better in transition but we still need to improve in the half court without it just being personnel improvement. We are pretty much a zone offense that depends 100% on penetration. More player and ball movement would be beneficial at times.

Reactions: anon_z8qxv7qt5719f
But they can be beneficial. I’d rather not depend on either one 100% of the time. We are better in transition but we still need to improve in the half court without it just being personnel improvement. We are pretty much a zone offense that depends 100% on penetration. More player and ball movement would be beneficial at times.
I don't think we have enough ball movement at times.

You’re comparing the midrange to the 3. Take away the highly contested layups that are not good shots and instead stop and take a mid range shot. That’s what this is about. Nobody is saying pass up an open 3 to take a midrange 2. But pass up the crazy contested layup falling down out of bounds and just stop and shoot an open shot.

Reactions: PlaidandParquet
You’re comparing the midrange to the 3. Take away the highly contested layups that are not good shots and instead stop and take a mid range shot. That’s what this is about. Nobody is saying pass up an open 3 to take a midrange 2. But pass up the crazy contested layup falling down out of bounds and just stop and shoot an open shot.
I think the "layup falling down shots" are due to too much over penetration by whoever is driving. So, maybe they aren't taking the shot when it is presented. So many times it could be by player choice. You notice they whoever is driving with the ball depends a lot on the underneath baseline pass to the corner instead of making a quick decision on going to the basket. Many times JQ deferred to that pass or getting blocked when he would drive too deep against a double team. Many times he could've passed or even stopped and popped, but he ended up in no mans land under the hoop.

Coach can't take the shot for them or make their decisions for them.

I think the "layup falling down shots" are due to too much over penetration by whoever is driving. So, maybe they aren't taking the shot when it is presented. So many times it could be by player choice. You notice they whoever is driving with the ball depends a lot on the underneath baseline pass to the corner instead of making a quick decision on going to the basket. Many times JQ deferred to that pass or getting blocked when he would drive too deep against a double team. Many times he could've passed or even stopped and popped, but he ended up in no mans land under the hoop.

Coach can't take the shot for them or make their decisions for them.
I’ve watched two seasons of it. I can’t blame that part on the player anymore. I have to assume it’s what they are being taught to do. I’ve heard Oats say many times, layups, threes and free throws...

I don't think we have enough ball movement at times.
And we aren’t going to get it sometimes with our system unless our guys can consistently beat their defender. It’s all about beating them off the dribble. I prefer to have the help moving and not standing dead still always ready to help.

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23

GS shot more midrange shots than any team in the NBA during their championship runs. No one is saying to abandon shooting threes, and of course if you can get all the way to the basket and get a layup it's the best shot on the court, that goes without saying. Many ITT are responding as if we are saying shot shooting threes, that is far from the case.

What is said is shooting an open midrange is better than shooting a highly contested layup. We seem to hit maybe 33% of our layups at the rim that are contested. Hell, we ranked 264th in the country when it came to percentage made at the rim.

What I am also saying is you are easier to defend if the team coming into the game knows they don't have to worry about defended all areas of the court. If I know all you are going to shoot is threes or layups and I have the size and athleticism to challenge those areas, you are easier for me to come up with a game plan to stop than if I had to worry about you popping a guy to the top of the key to take a shot every now and then.

I’m going to end my input on this futile topic by saying I don’t think it needs fixing at this point and I believe it really won’t matter once we get better shooters and ball handlers. If you watch the podcast with Coach Oats that I posted he tells players not to pass up an open shot. I also think as we get better ball handlers those open opportunities will come, but our lack of skill in that area created a team with nothing but 4 set shot artists on the court and a PG most of the time. The thing is, we did a heckuva job with that lineup and I look forward to next year.

Reactions: adsmith4
Yep, because I don't think the 3 or drive philosophy is one that can ever get Bama to the level we see tonight.

I know many Alabama fans don't care; just as long as football is tremendous and basketball is not terrible, they are happy. I would like to see Bama finally become elite.
Sorry goat, I'll go with our head coaches philosophy.

Sorry goat, I'll go with our head coaches philosophy.
That's fair, I created the post to open up the discussion. Just because I don't agree with everything CNO is about does not mean I don't think he's a good coach. I used the NCG as a reference because both of those teams play a similar style to the one Oats want to play, Baylor lead the country in 3 point shooting. I just think the biggest difference as to why they were the two best teams all year is their willingness to take the shot that is given to them, that includes the midrange.

I thought I made it clear; I don't think his philosophy of not shooting a shot that available is one that will get Alabama far. At least not as far as I would like to see them go. Look at Alabama's record against ranked teams this year. They all defended the 3 and at the rim, giving the midrange that Bama didn't take. Bama lost more of those games then they won.
Well we get to the elite 8 this year if we hit 2 more free throws and would have had an excellent chance to beat Michigan. You‘re entitled to your opinion, it’s just not shared by most of us who’ve been watching Bama basketball since CM Newton....

Of course I agree that a mid range jumper is better than a well contested layup, the players on our team an exception or 2 were not very good at these mid range shots off the dribble. At times Petty did well with those 8-10’ shots around the goal when the the rim was well protected.
if we have some guys that can consistently make these shots I bet CNO green lights them.
can you name any guys you think could do that on this past years roster?

Of course I agree that a mid range jumper is better than a well contested layup, the players on our team an exception or 2 were not very good at these mid range shots off the dribble. At times Petty did well with those 8-10’ shots around the goal when the the rim was well protected.
if we have some guys that can consistently make these shots I bet CNO green lights them.
can you name any guys you think could do that on this past years roster?
I would say Petty, Shack, Reese, Quinerly, Primo. And Ellis made a lot of midrange shots in his juco highlights

It sounds like you’re talking about a pull-up 2, which is one of the least effective shots in basketball (0.79 PPS), likely because human nature is to drive until you’re contested and then you end up with a contested midrange jumper off the dribble.

(link) https://shottracker.com/articles/analytics-shot-selection

I get everyone’s frustration seeing guys barrel down the lane into 2-3 defenders and then throw up some garbage, and the obvious question is why did he do that, but the likely better answer is for the player to kick to an open guy (those 2-3 guys should’ve been guarding someone) for a catch and shoot, or secondary drive, rather than to try and take a 15 footer on the move.

Nonetheless guys are going to make miscalculations and think they can get all the way sometimes and end up being wrong. I know I have tried to pull off shots on the golf course that I thought were a good idea and ended up biting me in the butt plenty of times :)

Reactions: Sweetlou10
It sounds like you’re talking about a pull-up 2, which is one of the least effective shots in basketball (0.79 PPS), likely because human nature is to drive until you’re contested and then you end up with a contested midrange jumper off the dribble.

I get everyone’s frustration seeing guys barrel down the lane into 2-3 defenders and then throw up some garbage, and the obvious question is why did he do that, but the likely better answer is for the player to kick to an open guy (those 2-3 guys should’ve been guarding someone) for a catch and shoot, or secondary drive, rather than to try and take a 15 footer on the move.

Nonetheless guys are going to make miscalculations and think they can get all the way sometimes and end up being wrong. I know I have tried to pull off shots on the golf course that I thought were a good idea and ended up biting me in the butt plenty of times :)
Good point on making the pass off the drive. I do think Oats would prefer that rather than contested layup through 3 guys.

He obviously prefers the kick out 3. That’s the whole issue. Teams quit helping. The in ball defender knows it’s a 3 or we put it on the floor and we are going all the way to the rim. It would help if there was a third dimension. The defender doesn’t have to guard us when we put it in the floor, they can just run to the rim and wait.

He obviously prefers the kick out 3. That’s the whole issue. Teams quit helping. The in ball defender knows it’s a 3 or we put it on the floor and we are going all the way to the rim. It would help if there was a third dimension. The defender doesn’t have to guard us when we put it in the floor, they can just run to the rim and wait.
I agree with needing to adapt the attack to the defenses reaction. IMO though the problem with those wild layups is not the on ball defender, it’s the 2-3 others that are sometimes waiting at the rim. So the challenge is on the players (both driver and spot up guys) to make the other team pay for helping down, which should leave someone open.

That all being said, I don’t expect the players to be perfect in their decisions, so I presume we will see some shots that make me slap my forehead forever.

I agree with needing to adapt the attack to the defenses reaction. IMO though the problem with those wild layups is not the on ball defender, it’s the 2-3 others that are sometimes waiting at the rim. So the challenge is on the players (both driver and spot up guys) to make the other team pay for helping down, which should leave someone open.

That all being said, I don’t expect the players to be perfect in their decisions, so I presume we will see some shots that make me slap my forehead forever.
But it’s not the 2-3 others helping many times. Lots of teams just quit helping off the shooters against us and said beat us 1 on 1 at the rim. Now better players can fix that...so hopefully that’ll be the case. But even still, we could adapt some on offense.

Reactions: BamaLegacy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT