ADVERTISEMENT

Monday practice report (Auburn week)

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
By Tony Tsoukalas

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama worked outside Monday in its first practice in preparation for Saturday’s Iron Bowl against Auburn. Players were dressed in shirts and shells in chilly, 56-degree weather for the workout.

Here are some notes from the media viewing period:

— Minkah Fitzpatrick (hamstring) practiced and did not have a support-strip on his leg. He was moving fine and appears probable for Saturday’s game.

— The rest of the players on Alabama’s injury report — Christian Miller (bicep), Terrell Lewis (elbow), Mack Wilson (foot) and Ross Pierschbacher (ankle) — were not present during the media viewing period.

Earlier in the day, Saban said none of the above players were cleared by the medical staff. However, he didn’t rule anyone out for the game.

Saban on Miller, Lewis and Wilson: “Terrell Lewis and Christian Miller are in the functional phase of rehab and not cleared medically to play. Mack Wilson has not practiced yet and has not been medically cleared to play. Whatever is out there, I'm giving you the facts from here. I'm not saying that those guys are out for the game, and I'm not able to say whether they'll be able to play in the game.”

Saban on Pierschbacher: “He's day-to-day, too. He's not been medically cleared to practice yet. Maybe sometime later in the week he will. We just have to see how he does.”

— Dylan Moses was second in line behind Rashaan Evans in the inside linebackers unit. Keith Holcombe was third in line, followed by Markail Benton, Joshua McMillon and VanDarius Cowan.

— Benton was wearing a No. 49 scout-team jersey representing Auburn linebacker Darrell Williams (6-foot-2, 244 pounds). Williams is tied for second on the team with 44 tackles and has 3.5 tackles for a loss with half a sack and four quarterback hurries.

— J.C. Hassenauer continues to occupy Pierschbacher’s spot at left guard. Hassenauer earned SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week, grading out at 91 percent and not allowing a sack against Mercer.

— Alabama’s second-unit offensive line consisted of Alex Leatherwood, Richie Petitbon, Chris Owens, Joshua Casher and Jedrick Wills.

— Brian Robinson appeared to have his left leg wrapped, but was participating in drills with the rest of the running backs. He was wearing a No. 21 scout-team jersey representing Auburn running back Kerryon Johnson (6-foot, 212 pounds). Johnson is one of the nation’s premier running backs and leads the Tigers in rushing with 1,172 yards and 16 touchdowns on 220 carries, an average of 5.53 yards per attempt. The junior also has 18 receptions for 166 yards and two touchdowns.

— It was hard to see much from the running back unit, but it appeared Josh Jacobs was having his leg wrapped by a trainer. I did not see him participate in any drills, but it was a short viewing period. Jacobs wasn’t included in Saban’s injury report, and I expect him to be fine. If he was seriously injured during practice, he would not have been on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News