ADVERTISEMENT

Rashaan Evans' switch to inside linebacker is impressing NFL teams

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014

Rashaan Evans might have made it look easy, but the switch from outside linebacker to inside linebacker was no small task.

The former Alabama standout started his college career as more of a threat on the edge before moving inside during the spring of his junior season. That move has been the biggest topic of interest among NFL scouts at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine.

“They said that I definitely improved as far as my ability playing at inside linebacker,” Evans told reporters at the Indianapolis Convention Center on Saturday. “I feel like I needed a year up under my belt to really kind of understand the position and how to play the position."

Evans led Alabama with 13 tackles for a loss and was tied for the team lead with 74 stops during his first full season as a starter last year. He also tallied seven quarterback hurries and a forced fumble, serving as one of the leaders on the No. 1 defense in the country.

Not bad for a player who didn’t make his first start until the Peach Bowl his junior year.

However, Evans wants to make it clear — none of this came easy. The 6-foot-3, 234-pound linebacker took some time Saturday to reflect back on his time at Alabama, specifically the career-changing move switch to middle linebacker.

“Coach [Nick] Saban, he put a lot of time in me, getting some extra film work in,” Rashaan Evans said. “As a matter of fact, I was getting film in after each practice just to kind of speed up the learning curve so I could play in the fall.”

LINK
https://alabama.rivals.com/news/rashaan-evans-switch-to-inside-linebacker-is-impressing-nfl-teams

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News