ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday Insider Report (Practice No. 4)

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama held its fourth of 20 preseason practices Tuesday as the team prepared for its Sept. 1 season-opener against Louisville. Players were dressed in shorts and shells and practiced outside in sunny, 89-degree weather. Here are a few notes from the media viewing session.

— Josh Jacobs appeared to be somewhat limited during practice. He went through some of the drills at half speed and didn’t get as low as the other backs.

— Christopher Allen continued to work with the inside linebackers while Ben Davis remained with the outside linebackers. Earlier this offseason, Christian Miller spent some time inside. However, he has worked exclusively with the outside linebackers during camp.

“We’re just plugging and playing, and whatever we can do to help the team that’s what we’re going to do,” Miller said Tuesday.

— Anfernee Jennings led the outside linebackers and was followed by Miller, Jamey Mosley, Jarez Parks, Cameron Latu, Eyabi Anoma and Ben Davis. Defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi has been really interactive with Anoma, making sure he gets his technique right on every play.

— Lupoi was his usual self with the rest of the outside linebackers, cracking jokes while giving them instruction during drills.

“He brings the energy every day to everybody on the team,” Miller said. “One thing he does really well, he’s a really good teacher. He likes to break things down to the concepts, and that way you learn the foundations and they it builds from there. Like I said, he just brings the energy and guys take to him very well.”

— Mack Wilson led the inside linebackers and was followed by Dylan Moses, Markail Benton, Joshua McMillon, Jaylen Moody and Christopher Allen. Benton has drawn some praise this offseason, especially from Wilson.

“He’s one of those guys I try to stay on a lot because I see potential in him just like Rueben (Foster) saw it in me,” Wilson said. “I tell him all the time, ‘If something happens to me or Dylan, you’ve got to be the one to step up. I try to tell him to take everything seriously because you never know. You’re always one snap away.”

— The offensive line practiced in groups of three. Ross Pierschbacher, Lester Cotton and Jonah Williams represented the left side of the first unit, while Chris Owens, Jedrick Wills and Alex Leatherwood made up the right side. Matt Womack worked alongside Joshua Casher and Richie Pettibon in one trio.

— Isaiah Buggs led the defensive line and was followed by Raekwon Davis, Quinnen Williams, Johnny Dwight, LaBryan Ray, Phidarian Mathis, Stephon Wynn, Christian Barmore and Tevita Musika.

— Despite being listed at 6-foot-1, 338 pounds, Musika doesn’t have much unnecessary weight on him. He’s built like a brick and moves pretty well for a big guy.

— The defensive backs worked out of a nickel package with two groupings. Trevon Diggs, Saivion Smith, Jayln Armour-Davis and Josh Jobe worked at corner, while Shyheim Carter, Patrick Surtain, Kyriq McDonald and Keaton Anderson worked at Star. Deionte Thompson Xavier McKinney, Jared Mayden, Daniel Wright and Eddie Smith served as the safeties.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News