ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball ⚾️ Game Thread: Alabama @ No. 1 Auburn

I see a lot of basketball players in crimson who have a great career in masonry awaiting them when they graduate.

Reactions: KJ454
Ouch. Not looking good. The ball garglers are just outplaying us right now.

JQ and Ellis are brick masons tonight. Combined 2 of 15 so far in this game. They are the difference the wrong way so far.

Our only hope is to shoot from outside. We can't challenge Kessler with anyone that we have. We are toast if we can't get the three ball going.
The problem is, when he helps, it’s too easy for someone to help the helper but we have no movement off the ball ever. So it’s too easy to help against us.

No one here wants to hear this, but hearing them say Pearl coaches his team, call plays based on the personnel he has on the court. That's what excellent coaching looks like...

No one here wants to hear this, but hearing them say Pearl coaches his team, call plays based on the personnel he has on the court. That's what excellent coaching looks like...
Pearl has been coaching much longer. I’ll give you this one, but experience helps. Pearl is one of the best coaches in college. The blue bloods of college basketball are crazy not to go after him, but I will say he fits Auburn.

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
Bama has no bigs to pick and roll with and that's all auburn is doing. Also Bama has no big to stop the pick and roll.

Reactions: adsmith4
It's pretty easy to coach when your team is hitting shots. Oats sure was coaching against Baylor, Gonzaga, but I guess those games don't count.
Oats knows one style of coaching; when it's working, they look good. When it's not he has no answer and they lose to shitty teams like UGA.

Pearl is far and away the better coach IMO.

Anyone else so Fing tired of hearing all the excuses on why our D sucks so badly with Herb leaving? Don’t get me wrong I loved Herb and he was fantastic but we lost one player and going from one of the best Ds to playing D like a bunch of turnstiles is infuriating.

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
Oats knows one style of coaching; when it's working, they look good. When it's not he has no answer and they lose to shitty teams like UGA.

Pearl is far and away the better coach IMO.

no shit. Pearl is 62 and a proven elite coach.

Anyone else so Fing tired of hearing all the excuses on why our D sucks so badly with Herb leaving? Don’t get me wrong I loved Herb and he was fantastic but we lost one player and going from one of the best Ds to playing D like a bunch of turnstiles is infuriating.
I actually think our defense has looked alright tonight. Main problem is auburn is an NBA team

@Mox0570 we aactually lost primo which was good on D and petty was really good last year also. Bruner could actually defend down low, so yeah we lost a lot, but you can pretend we didn't.

Not too hard to look like a great coach with this auburn team. Pearl didn’t look like a great coach this time last year
Anyone that followed CBB knew Auburn would struggle last year with that roster. Players leaving, suspended, and hurt.

I guess you can say it was easy for Oats to look like a great coach last year when this team would go crazy from 3.

It’s embarrassing to have a half court offense that looks like this at this level. Primarily 1 on 1 and you better beat your defender and sometimes the help.
It’s bama’s the inabiiity to guard the pick and roll… AU has done an amazing job adding an extra screener against bama when bama switches .
No answer

Reactions: adsmith4
I turned off the game and turned on YouTube to watch sharter videos. Pretty much the same thing as what Alabama is doing on the court but much more entertaining.

@Mox0570 we actually lost primo and petty and both were good on defense. Also Bruner was a good around the rim on D, but you can pretend we didn't lose much if that helps you feel better.

It’s bama’s the inabiiity to guard the pick and roll… AU has done an amazing job adding an extra screener against bama when bama switches .
No answer
They don’t do that everytime. They mix it up a ton. They are multiple. They mix it up. The kids know exactly how to react to different things from the defense. Our help defenders can’t just stand there and always been in help like people can against us. If you don’t think our offense is an issue, then we can disagree. We’ve given them a lot of fast break points with turnovers and bad shots. Our half court offense is 95% based on somebody beating somebody off the dribble with help standing there waiting.

Your first paragraph is just as applicable to what Oats has dealt with this year.
This was supposed to be Oats's best team. Most here couldn't wait for “Avery's players” to leave. This team started the season highly ranked and that team is pretty much intact.

Anyone that followed CBB knew Auburn would struggle last year with that roster. Players leaving, suspended, and hurt.

I guess you can say it was easy for Oats to look like a great coach last year when this team would go crazy from 3.

My opinion of Oats is that even with his faults, he is the best coach Bama has had since Wimp Sanderson and he will only get better with time. Had Primo not went pro, this would probably be a 20 win team playing a 20 win team tonight.

Reactions: BHMButcher
My opinion of Oats is that even with his faults, he is the best coach Bama has had since Wimp Sanderson and he will only get better with time. Had Primo not went pro, this would probably be a 20 win team playing a 20 win team tonight.
You might be right but Primo has been long gone. Has Bama adjusted to their own personnel?

We haven’t been able to solve their PnR coverages, their guards are playing better than the first matchup.

This was supposed to be Oats's best team. Most here couldn't wait for “Avery's players” to leave. This team started the season highly ranked and that team is pretty much intact.
I’m with you on the morons wanting herb and petty to leave and I’ve stated that for a long time. This team was highly ranked because of what was accomplished last year. But unexpected and expected losses, as well as injury to Burnett and Tchikou somehow not being who anyone thought he would be have been pretty brutal hits.

• Love
Reactions: onebamamaniax
I'm a Primo fan; I said he would be the best player on this team and one of the best players in the league had he stayed. But this is basketball and he came in with the possibility of being a one and done player.

Reactions: StablerCountry
@G.O.A.T-23 pearl has been at auburn 8 years he's only won more than 20 games in 4 years. Last year he went through the same thing oats is this year. If it wasn't for the portal he basically has the same team as last year but with Jabari Smith. No way they are number 1 with out the portal! All but one of the stars for Auburn are transfers, so I guess Pearl had no faith in his own recruited guys.

You might be right but Primo has been long gone. Has Bama adjusted to their own personnel?
I can't really answer that question accurately. I do think Oats could do some better things coaching wise. But the players are not blameless either.
JQ and Ellis are 2 of 15 combined shooting tonight. That is not on Oats.

I’m with you on the morons wanting herb and petty to leave and I’ve stated that for a long time. This team was highly ranked because of what was accomplished last year. But unexpected and expected losses, as well as injury to Burnett and Tchikou somehow not being who anyone thought he would be have been pretty brutal hits.
I don't know if Burnett makes that big of a difference. He didn't play much at Tech; maybe he would have but I think he would have been more of the same unless he was great at rebounding and defending the post.

I did expect a lot more from Tchikou, not sure what the problem is with him.

Reactions: Sweetlou2.0
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT