ADVERTISEMENT

Henderson: Observations from practice No. 4

kyle h

All American
Staff
Feb 3, 2005
Hello everyone,

Here are my observations from Alabama’s fourth practice of the season. I stayed with the corners and safeties today and also watched the quarterbacks and receivers. I’ll start with Nick Saban. As you know he refers to himself as a grad assistant that helps with the secondary and today I was able to capture some great teaching points from him working hand in hand with Patrick Surtain II. Surtain was working with the corners today and as mentioned in our previous reports he might see time or even start at the star position for the first game against Duke. I don’t have to tell you that Surtain looks great, I mean he’s body type and athleticism scream future NFL draft pick, I mean the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, does it?

I was also able to watch some younger guys at the corner like Jalyn Armour-Davis, Brandon Turnage, and Scooby Carter. Armour-Davis looks to be moving very well coming off an ACL injury last season and Turnage looks similar in stature. Carter despite having his hamstring to his bottom of the leg taped was moving well and I think as you see more footage of him, you’ll be very impressed.

Some of the younger safeties were working right next to the corners and I really feel that Eddie Smith who is now a sophomore could contribute if his number was called. While Alabama has a lot of depth at safety, it’s good to know he’s coming along. DeMarcco Hellams looks good in drills as you would imagine and he sure wears 213 pounds well, I am curious if that weight transitions to him being a bigger hitter?

The upperclassmen at safety are extremely talented, but there is a big gap talent-wise in my opinion between Xavier McKinney and the Daniel Wright and Jared Mayden, just watch the footage and see if you agree. McKinney moves at a different speed, NFL speed, and this shows on the field.

As mentioned I watched the quarterbacks and receivers and there was a period when the quarterbacks threw the long ball. The first ball thrown by Mac Jones was so far off, no one would have caught the football, even with a jet pack on. That was really the only bad ball I saw him throw though, most of his passes were right where they needed to be. Tua is Tua, not much more to say, zips the football around like he was born to do this or something. Taulia Tagovailoa throws a better ball than Paul Tyson and has impressed me more than Tyson in each of the practices I’ve seen the two head to head.

As far as the receivers… Remember that show Baywatch with the supermodels? Well, Alabama’s receiving corps is similar to the show in that one receiver is better than the next and they all seem as though they could be All-Americans. It’s an embarrassment of riches, to be honest.

Tyrell Shavers looked stellar today. Was running great routes and looked like velcro. Slade Bolden and John Metchie are just ballers. Xavier Williams, baller, Jaylen Waddle, baller. The list goes on and on. ESPN said today that they have four first-round receivers on deck and three are likely gone after this year. Next season, I’m more than confident, this younger group of receivers will not skip a beat. One more time: Metchie is the truth.

For the second time this training camp: Jahleel Billingsley stood out. We need to see if these guys can do it in pads and in live-action, but I think he’s going to see the field this year, I just can’t see how they keep him on the sidelines.

ICYMI

Henderson: Observations from practice No. 3

The 3-2-1: Nick Saban more than pleased with new assistant coaches

Henderson: Observations from media day

Fall Camp Coverage

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News